Saturday, October 8, 2011

Wardance Records Redux

     Eons ago, I did a NYC-based HC record label. Actually between the years of 1990-1994. Those were pivotal times for me & the records I got to put were not only, to use an oft-overused phrase, seminal & widely influential i.e. Citizens Arrest "Light in the Distance" ep, Rorschach's "Needlepack"ep/"Protestant" Lp etc.. They were also released by good friends of mine, so the end result was doubly rewarding; I got to document inspiring sounds by people that I cared about.
     I took a "sabbatical" from the HC scene for a good 10-12 years until 2009, when I decided to put up online, an old compilation of mine that never got a proper release. This was the "Fuck Rock- @Abc No Rio '91" comp. An old penpal contacted me about doing a vinyl release of it & before you could say Deja Vu all over again; I was back in business.

                                                                
    I've jumped back feet first into the fray, a 7" was just released on Wardance, by a band called My Rifle. It's made up of guys that I met back in the '80's NYHC scene & it will be a curious experiment to see how they (& myself) react to the reality of being involved in a music genre that by definition is youth-oriented. Things were not supposed to turn out this way, at best, a pit-stop on the way to adulthood. I along with my peers, got into HC in our teens, as a conduit to channel adolescent aggression, differentiate oneself from the crowd & define your views along an alternative sub-culture that embraced non-conformism. How do you reconcile these beliefs in the face of (looming) middle-age? When a career/family/mortgage & well, all the trappings of becoming an adult are upon us, what is it about this loud/fast music that's still appealing?
  The best answer I can come up with is that this music, when is made from the heart, is still a visceral punch to your gut. When it becomes embedded in you, it's far-reaching influence can take decades to decipher, but it becomes a part of you. My old friend, Gavin from Absolution, put it best: "Influencing someone (via the music) is our best shot at immortality". If some kid, or kid at heart, can hear these records & go to the sounds that influenced the making of them & repeat ad nausem; all the way to those original pioneers that defined & codified the  HC/Punk ethos. Then, it will all be worth it. The added bonus for me is that I get to (once again) put out music by friends that are still making relevant sounds.
  Whether those particular tunes these days are of the classic Punk or NYHC variety, Hip-Hop tracks, Country-ish Gothic acoustic ditties; the result & energy are the same. The angst is still there, not as one-dimensional as before. It's more subtle & nuanced, but peel back the layers & you'll still find it there.
   Growing younger never seemed so appealing.

                                                www.wardancerecords.com

                                                        
                                    

                                                          
                                            

1 comment:

  1. Right on Freddy. It's amazing to me, that hearing the words hardcore is for lofe 23 years ago, rings more true today than it ever has. Sure I've moved onto other things, but I find myself always coming back to hardcore. Once you're in, you're in for life. I wouldn't't be who I am today without Raybeez in my ear, or my 1st listen to 7 Seconds and Token Entry. I jusy want to thank you and welcome back wardance.and your contributions, knowledge, and constant support is greatly appreciated. I look forward to many more awesome releases and seeing some great shows.

    ReplyDelete